Sunday, February 21, 2016

Silly Bandz: An American Fad

As I was reading Jennifer Price's essay, my first thought was that Americans in the 1950's were weird. I mean who would buy a flamingo when there are so many other cool things out there? But then I realized that I don't have the right to judge these flamingo buyers because I've done the same thing before (not that I have bought fake flamingos but that I have bought into a trend before).

Silly Bandz. Ah these two words bring the feeling of nostalgia. I still remember trying to convince my mom 6 years ago to buy me all the different types of Silly Bandz. These rubber bands were so fun and colorful that all the kids wanted them in 2010. They came in many different themes such as sports, dinosaurs, rainforests, or cars. I think I still have some of them stashed away. Anyways, they were cheap and enjoyable to play with just like how the "sassy pink" (Price) flamingo was "the hottest color of the decade," (Price) showing "leisure and extravagance" (Price). The Silly Bandz parallel the unique popularity of the flamingos as they were once considered boring and mundane. I still can't believe how both of these items became popular just because they were different. The flamingo because it could be "tangerine, broiling magenta...methyl green" (Price) and the bands because of its cheap price and variety.

This is why American culture astounds me as anything can become popular overnight. On the other hand, these types of fads can also die within a few months, never to be seen again. I am very excited to see what else United States culture has in store for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment