Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Default Setting

I never realized that I could be so self-centered. Anything that happens in my life, I am apart of it. My daily routine from getting up for school to going back to bed, everything I experience is from my point of view. I've been through 12 years of schooling but never thought once about this simple question: Am I self-centered?

I realized after reading David Wallace's story, "This is Water," my default setting is fixed to being a selfish human being. This setting made me recognize that I subconsciously believe that "I am the absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence" (Wallace 233). For example, when the hallways get crowded and jammed in Troy High, I often get frustrated and have an urge to scream at everyone's slow pace. I forget to acknowledge that fact that everyone around me is human as well. The emotion of anger and self-righteousness overcomes any logic and reasoning I once had, so it causes me to look down at all the other bodies that are taking up my pathway. As I was reading this short story, I also came to the conclusion that everyone in this world is selfish and egotistical. Even though these words have negative connotations, I believe that people are just following the way of life taught to them when they were young: Live your life to the fullest. As a result, it causes people to become self-centered at times without realizing other people have needs just like they do. However, this setting isn't like a game setting. You can't just switch it from hard to easy. It requires conscious effort from everyone "to stay conscious and alive, day in and day out" (238). Individuals have to comprehend that if they don't attempt to figure out what's truly real, they will drown and fade from reality forever.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sebin Choi.

    I really really liked this sentence in particular: "I've been through 12 years of schooling but never thought once about this simple question: Am I self-centered?"

    This was such a good connection! The question itself is such an obvious and blatant statement that it really drives in how entrenched we are within our own ego.Going through a whole "12 years of schooling" brings up a great personal perspective on ourselves. If we've been educated on everything from chick embryos to Lagrange's Theorem for a whole 12 years, how have we never even considered this simple thought?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The use of a question to open the post was very good as it started off the post with a cliffhanger. I also enjoyed the parallelism between the example you used and the example Wallace uses in his speech. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eric!
    You made some really nice points and connections to your own life.
    Sometimes I wonder if being TOO passive in the world around us can actually harm our own well-being though. Undoubtedly, it is important to "stay conscious" of those around us. However, the current society we live in places such great emphasis on striving to be at the top and racing to get ahead. A part of me wonders if it's possible to both "succeed" AND remain selfless.
    I think I went off-topic, but great post!!

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete