Sunday, April 17, 2016

A Polite Persuasion

To the reader(s) who have a chance to take a look at this post, how are you? It's nice to meet you. We should get in touch! Just kidding, I wasn't saying this to actually get in touch with you, I'm just showing my politeness (heh). An anthropologist studying first-year students at a university in the United States states that friendly phrases like the one's above convey politeness rather than literal intent (sorry if I got your hopes up).

Anyways, I agree with this anthropologist as being polite has become an unspoken rule in our society today. It is necessary for people to use polite speech in order to achieve their goal. For example, if I wanted some extra credit in a certain 11 AP English class, I would probably have a higher chance of accomplishing this task by throwing in some courteous words or phrases rather than just bluntly asking for free points. Also, these considerate words show my respect towards the teacher and imply that I understand that they're the one in control. By politely requesting extra credit, I will be taken more seriously than just a teenager who demands points. Without this type of well-mannered word choice, my inquiry would have been disregarded and my grade ruined.

Furthermore, politeness is required for public speaking as well. People like politicians or businessmen utilize polite speech to give an impression that they're official and dignified. These individuals will avoid slang in order to portray their education. It also signifies that they are fit for a position to lead. Basically, polite language can lead to power and authority which makes it a great "language" for all people to incorporate in every day situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment